Arthritis is one of the common health conditions that cause people to experience joint pain and stiffness. Two of its common types are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis breaks down the cartilage, while rheumatoid arthritis causes the immune system to attack the joints’ lining. Both of these conditions cause pain, especially to the elderly. Many people, especially the elderly, have a high risk of getting arthritis. That’s why health experts and patients seek alternatives to arthritis treatment, including CBD oil.
Arthritis: Causes, Complications and Symptoms
If you have arthritis, it is essential to seek effective treatment. Doing so can help you avoid having complications that can give more pain. But before you find a cure to this health condition, knowing its causes and symptoms can help you understand arthritis more. In this way, you can decide better treatment for this health concern.
What Causes Arthritis?
Arthritis has many types, and is caused by several reasons. But the common one is damaged joints. Osteoarthritis is caused by the wear-and-tear damage of your joint’s cartilage. Thus, it results in the grinding of the bones, causing pain and restricted movement. Unfortunately, the wear-and-tear of the joints can happen over many years. However, it can also be caused by an infection or a joint injury.
In terms of rheumatoid arthritis, your immune system attacks the joint capsule’s lining. As a result, the tough membrane becomes inflamed and swollen. When this type of arthritis continues to process, the cartilage is eventually destroyed. If you are diagnosed with arthritis, it is best to seek treatment as soon as possible.
Aside from the mentioned causes, some risk factors can result in the development of this disease. It includes the following:
- Age – the risk of developing arthritis, both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid, increases as a person ages.
- Family history – There is a type of arthritis that is more likely to develop when one of your family members has it. It is because your genes become susceptible to the environmental factors that trigger the disease.
- Joint injury – As mentioned earlier, people who have a previous joint injury are more likely to develop arthritis.
- Obesity – People with obesity have a higher risk of developing arthritis. Excess weight can put too much stress on the joints, including the hips, knees, and spine.
When left untreated, arthritis can cause severe pain. That’s why people with this health condition should immediately consult a doctor and look for effective treatment. Severe arthritis can affect your hands, arms, or both. Thus, you’ll find it challenging to perform your daily tasks. Other complications may include discomfort in sitting up straight. In the worst conditions, your joints could be deformed and twisted.
Common Symptoms of Arthritis
You might have arthritis if you have the following symptoms:
- Decreased range of motion
If you are feeling any of these symptoms, it would be best to consult a doctor. Try not to self-diagnose because a doctor’s evaluation is more accurate.
CBD Oil for Arthritis
Cannabidiol is a popular treatment for anxiety and psoriasis. Aside from these health conditions, CBD oil has shown great potential in treating arthritis. Since CBD has anti-inflammatory properties, some patients are using it to alleviate the symptoms of arthritis. The question is, “Can CBD oil relieve arthritis pain?”
Here are some scientific evidence that could support the positive claims regarding using CBD oil for arthritis:
- A study in 2016 used rat models to verify if transdermal cannabidiol can reduce inflammation and pain-related behaviours. It was found out that topical CBD application has therapeutic potential for arthritis relief and other pain-related reactions. Aside from that, it can also reduce the inflammation without causing any side effects. It is confirmed that typical drug applications restrict gastrointestinal administration. Thus, it provides more constant plasma levels.
- A study in 2017 stated that CBD oil is a non-euphoria producing constituent of cannabis. Thus, it can be a high potential for alleviating pain. The study was conducted to determine if cannabidiol is an anti-nociceptive in osteoarthritis. Aside from that, it was also performed to check if CBD oil van prevented the development of pain and joint neuropathy.
The models used in the study were male Wistar rats. The survey results stated that prophylactic CBD treatment had prevented the later development of nerve damage and pain in osteoarthritis joints. Thus, the research suggested that cannabidiol could be a safe and useful therapy for treating neuropathic pain in osteoarthritis joints.
The two studies mentioned are just some preclinical research showing the positive effects of using CBD oil. However, both studies have used rat models. That’s why some health experts believe that there is still a lack of evidence when using CBD oil for arthritis. CBD usage depends on the choice of patients. So if you are considering this remedy, it would be best to ask your doctor’s advice. Thorough research can also provide you with a better understanding of using CBD oil treatment.
Are There Risks in Using CBD Oil for Arthritis?
According to Harvard Medical School, CBD treatment has possible downsides. Although it is generally considered safe, it can cause some side effects such as dry mouth, lightheadedness, and sleepiness. In worse conditions, it can increase the risk of developing liver problems. But according to CBD experts, these side effects are possible if CBD is not compatible with the body. That’s why consulting doctors is crucial because these health experts can identify whether you are allergic to CBD or not. Besides, they can provide the right advice in using CBD oil.
CBD oil shows a promise in treating health conditions, including arthritis. Since it has pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties, many people are convinced of its health benefits. The results of the studies are not validated in human models. However, CBD users have reported noticeable pain relief and anxiety reduction. Other than that, many individuals claim that CBD oil is an effective treatment for arthritis.