With the legalization of hemp growing in many countries, including Canada, many farmers have considered the hemp plant for cultivation. More and more farmers and entrepreneurs are engaging in a hemp business because of the growing demand for hemp products. One of the best things about the hemp plant is its myriad uses, from cosmetics to construction materials. That’s why it is less challenging to find consumers interested in buying hemp products. If you are interested in growing hemp for a start-up business, then you have to consider several things, such as the capital and equipment for hemp cultivation and processing.
The Right Ways to Grow Hemp
As someone new to the hemp industry, you might think that starting your hemp farm is difficult. If you apply the proper techniques in hemp growing, then the results would be truly rewarding. Here are some tips to achieve successful hemp growing:
- Determine the best growing conditions for hemp. The hemp plant is cultivated for its grain, fibre, and seeds. Its parts are also processed to produce CBD oil. Whether you are using the crop for industrial or commercial purposes, the process of planting this is often similar to how traditional crops are grown. Keep in mind that it requires some growing conditions to thrive well. In terms of the environment where you will plant the crop, temperate areas are ideal. Try to get your soil tested to know whether it is rich in organic material. Look for areas with low weed pressure and high fertility.
- Make use of the right farming techniques. If you are a first-time hemp farmer, you don’t have to worry about cultivating the crop. Keep in mind that the farming techniques to successfully grow hemp can be learned. When it comes to sowing hemp seeds, make sure to prepare a firm and shallow bed for the seeding depths. Some farmers plant the seeds first to pots and then transfer them to the land after a few days. However, it is recommended to sow the hemp seeds directly into the soil where they will grow.
To help the seeds germinate faster, try planting the seeds when the soil has achieved at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit. When sowing the seeds, make sure that they are at least four inches apart. It can be done manually or mechanically. If you are using a machine, you can utilize conventional seeding equipment such as a corn planter or grain drill.
- Follow the regulations when it comes to using pesticides. Each country has rules in using herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, and other chemicals to get rid of pests. As a responsible farmer, you have to abide by the regulations in your area. You can visit the agriculture department in your country to know more about the pest-control products federally permitted in your area. Although you can use pesticides, keep in mind that it is optional. Usually, the hemp plant is pest and disease-resistant. It means you can grow hemp organically.
Farm Equipment for Hemp Cultivation
If you are still planning to have your hemp farm, probably you might be thinking of getting special farming equipment for the crop. Some hemp farmers use the standard machinery for growing hemp. But, you may need a unique mechanism when it comes to cultivating hemp for fibre. It is because the stalks are processed differently. If you are wondering what machineries are needed for growing and processing the hemp plant, then refer to the following list:
- Decorticator – A decorticator is the type of machinery that separates the hemp into the pulp. Nowadays, you can find a modernized decorticator that performs post-processing, removing the fibre’s gums and resins. It also removes the fibre from the rest of the stem. When buying a decorticator, try to find something that uses a reactor to pass the hemp stalk through the machine that separates the hemp into pulp.
- Hammermill – The hammermill is responsible for separating the crop’s hurd from the bast fibre. After that process, the bast fibre is then cleaned, carded, and refined. It will be reduced into a smaller size, pressed, and bailed.
- Pelletizer – If you want to use the hemp straw or stalk to produce hemp pellets, then a pelletizer is needed. It is a machine that can also be used to make grass pellets. Together with the conveyance and transporting system, the hemp mill pellet system can maintain the temperature of the hemp pellets.
- Tubular Drag Conveyor – This machine keeps the product blends at the correct ratios. A tubular drag conveyor is used to process hemp pellets and other hemp-related products. It efficiently gets rid of delicate materials while keeping the fibre and seed intact.
Other machines can be used to cultivate hemp, aside from the ones mentioned. You don’t need to buy all the machines since what you need depends on the type of business you will pursue. If you will focus more on utilizing hemp fibres, keep in mind the special machinery to be used in processing them. For cheaper production cost, you may consider collaborating with other companies. Some businesses provide services focusing on treating raw plants. Having a partnership with these businesses allow you to focus on other things like marketing your products.
Growing your hemp plant requires capital that you will use to buy the hemp seeds. Not only that, but you also need the necessary machinery to cultivate and process the crop. Try to familiarize yourself with the processes required to keep the business operating. Doing so can also help you in identifying the necessary equipment for the whole operation. Since each machine could be expensive for a start-up business, you can reduce the costs of your business operations. With the savings, you can allocate them to other areas like marketing and advertising.