The hemp plant is one of the cannabis-related plants that is legally accepted in many countries, including Canada. It has a scientific name of Cannabis sativa, which belongs to the Cannabaceae plant family. It is grown for its fibre and edible seeds. Hemp is different from marijuana because it only contains small amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol. THC is the compound that produces mind-altering effects when taken by the human body. Growing hemp is one of the popular businesses in Canada because of its many uses. CBD oil, a proven treatment for common ailments, is also derived from hemp. With lots of commercial products that you can do with hemp, it is not questionable that many people would like to engage in this kind of business. If you are interested in cultivating and processing hemp plants, then it is crucial to learn how to grow hemp for CBD and other products.
Hemp for CBD and Other Products
As mentioned earlier, the hemp plant can be converted to a lot of products. It can be used for building materials, health supplements, paper products, and even personal care items. Except for seeds, the other parts of the hemp plant including the leaves and the stems can be extracted to produce CBD. Besides CBD oil, these parts can also be processed to create cordages such as cables, ropes, strings, twines, and yarns. The fibres of the hemp can be converted to make coarse fabrics like canvas and linen. So what happens to the seeds of the hemp plant? Since they cannot be used to produce cannabidiol, they can be eaten raw. The seeds can also be sprinkled to salads or blended in fruit smoothies. If you are not into dairy milk, then you may opt for hemp seed milk as an alternative.
How to Grow Hemp: Getting Started
If you are considering having your own hemp farm for a CBD business, then you might be asking yourself about where to begin. Getting started off cultivating hemp could be less challenging if you know where to start and learn the right steps in venturing this industry. Before you accumulate some farming techniques that can help you grow hemp, try to follow the tips below:
- Know the hemp cultivation regulation in your country. Not all countries have legalized the use of cannabis. That’s why it is essential to see if it is possible to start a CBD business. In Canada, there are rules and regulations to be followed when engaging in the hemp industry. From applying for a license to completing all the legal documents, you have to abide by the country’s hemp laws. Regarding the regulations to be followed, you may refer to this link.
- Determine the capital and overhead cost. For first-time farmers, you have to keep in mind the equity that you will be using for the land, farm equipment, etc. Besides these costs, you also have to consider the money to be used in keeping the hemp farm operating. Whether you have a small or big farm, what matters is to do things right to make it a valuable investment.
- Learn the best farming techniques. Starting a hemp farm requires capital; that’s why you have to make it valuable. As first-time farmers, it is recommended to equip yourself with the best farming techniques on how to grow hemp for CBD. You can watch tutorial videos, read magazines about agriculture, or seek advice from other hemp farmers.
How to Grow Hemp: Farming Techniques
Hemp farm experts recommend first-time hemp farmers to start small in growing the plant. Instead of cultivating hemp on a massive scale, you can start small and go slow. You can experiment with the farming techniques that are ideal for your crops. In this way, you can grow hemp while learning the best ways to cultivate hemp. Here are some tips and techniques for successfully growing hemp:
- Get your soil tested. It is important to use quality soil when growing hemp. That’s why if you already have land for cultivating the plant, you may start with getting your soil tested. Usually, there are testing kits available in the government offices in your country. Know which offices are responsible for agriculture. Take note of the nutrient contents of your land once you get the results. Hemp grows better in loose, well-aerated loam. Consider soil with high fertility and is rich in organic matter. Make sure that the pH level of the land ranges from 6.0 to 7.5. Although hemp can also grow successfully in sandy soil, keep in mind that it needs additional irrigation and fertilization.
- Make sure that the soil contains the right nutrients. Besides using the correct type of soil, it is also necessary to ensure that the soil has the proper nutrients. For the hemp to thrive well, it needs high levels of nitrogen and phosphorus. Aside from these nutrients, the hemp also requires adequate levels of calcium and sulphur. The organic matter to be added to the soil should be more than 3.5%.
- Determine whether to use hemp seeds or cannabis clones for cultivation. You can grow hemp using seed or cannabis clones. You may stick the seeds on the ground and water them. You have to wait for some time until a seedling pokes out. Although there are many available hemp seeds, knowing which has the .3 THC limit could be challenging. It is crucial to use seeds with the said limit because if the seeds exceed the required .3 THC, you have to destroy the plants as per the regulations. As an alternative to hemp seeds, you may use hemp clones, which refer to the cuttings from a “mother” plant. The cuttings can grow their own root systems, which can become hemp plants.
- Pick the best time to grow hemp. Canada has different seasons, and it is vital to identify which is the ideal time to cultivate hemp. To pick the best season, know that the soil temperature should be between 46-50 degrees Fahrenheit. When it comes to watering the plants, the hemp requires 20-30 inches of rainfall throughout its growth cycle. If the precipitation during the cultivation season is less than the needed inches, then irrigation is highly recommended.
For first-time farmers, creating your own hemp farm could be a daunting task. However, it could be less challenging if you learn the right ways of starting a hemp farm. Not only that but incorporating the best farming techniques can turn your investments into profit. There are different methods on how to grow hemp for CBD. Incorporating the best farming techniques can turn your investments into profit.